Sunday, April 15, 2012

Colossus - Class Battle Carrier

Today I thought I'd post something I've been working on in my (limited) spare time. 



It is a star ship comparable in size to a large airport.  The Colossus-Class Battle Carrier's military purpose is to transport a large fleet of smaller craft which can be deployed over a large area with the intent of outflanking the enemy force, and creating also a targeting challenge for the enemy by using smaller, more maneuverable craft.  These craft would be deployed well ahead of the Battle Carrier itself, due to the fact that the carrier's massive profile makes it an easier target.  Weapon power in this sci-fi universe is more devastating compared to the ship's defensive systems, so trying not to be hit is a major factor for space combat tactics.  This is done by keeping your ship far enough away from the enemy that the helmsman can react to and avoid incoming fire.

Anyway, with regard to the design, I've been trying to practice my modelling skills by employing techniques taught by my instructors here at Algonquin College.  That largely involves trying to keep all my polygons as 4-sided polygons, and avoiding "tri's" or 3-sided polygons.  This creates a challenge (at least with Maya) for precise modelling of features such as panels and door openings as boolean operations - operations that can combine meshes or cut holes in meshes based on the geometry of other meshes - are frowned upon by my instructors, due to their tendency to create messy meshes which result in strange lighting anomalies.  So I must create these panels, doors etc. with just the basic modelling tools, such as extrusions and edge loops.  This offers a significant challenge when trying to cut a square door in curved surface while maintaining the curve on that surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment